Thursday, May 2, 2013
Giveaway weekend - NEXT weekend
The first giveaway weekend of 2013 is this weekend on May 11 and 12. Be green and let others use items that you are no longer using. The tips or 'rules' of the giveaway the City of Winnipeg sets are below:
Tips if you are giving away items:
· Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
· Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
· Keep any items safely stored away that you don't want to give away.
· Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items include:
· books, CDs and DVDs
· furniture, electronics and small appliances
· sports equipment and toys
· yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
· kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
· unwanted gifts
· construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Please do not put out:
· items that could be unsafe
· items infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
· toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
Tips if you are cruising the curbs looking for treasures:
· Take only the items at the curb marked "FREE.”
· Respect other people's property – don't walk or drive on people's lawns or gardens.
· Don't discard any items on another person’s lawn.
· Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don't block traffic, park illegally or block people's driveways with your vehicle)
· Watch out for children.
For more information on the giveaway weekend, including what to do with leftover items:
· visit winnipeg.ca
· contact our 311 Centre, open 24 hours every day, by phone at 311 or by email at email@example.com
· download the mywaste app at Winnipeg.ca/mywaste
For information on items that aren’t safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts), visit: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/garage-eng.php
Ever want to be notified of whats being put on by the City of Winnipeg?